Sunday, June 23, 2013

Catching up ...

A whirlwind the last few days:  Thursday spent a loooong day with Lara going to Pisa, Volterra and San Gimigniano.  Home at 11:30 pm.  Had a good boneheaded moment going out of Pisa.  We'd pulled over to make sense of the GPS and I put my flashers on.  Well they were silent and I forgot I had them on.  Fast forward a few minutes and as we turned to an intersection a very earnest Itslian man coming the other way gestured with his hands to get our attention and mouthed something to us. We couldn't make it out since it was Itslian after all.  He then rolled the window down and yelled to us.  We were so confused he must have been frustrated.  I am trying to think if I am about to make an illegal turn or something.  He then in desperation puts both hands in the air palms facing us, and starts to close/unfold them.   Well, I'm embarrassed to ait it but all I could think of was the baby from that movie "meet the dockers" who starts to use his hands for the milk sign when a rather buxom woman goes by.   Seeing we STiLL didn't get it, he sighed and drove off.  It was about two minutes later we figured out he meant the hazard lights.  Almost had to pull over again we were laughing so hard!

It was a very emotional Friday night and Saturday morning.  Really felt both Dick's absence and presence.  Everyone was very nice to me, particularly Wally in his Friday evening toast.  I was close to tears thanking everyone for making me feel so welcome.

After a final set of family pics on Saturday morning, Lara and I drove up to Florence for some shopping and a walk thru the Academia to see the David and then off to a final drink with Marta and Wally at their Florence hotel before dropping Lara off at the airport and driving .... Tired as hell ... To  Assisi.

The arrival in Assisi I'll leave for later.  Internet access is limited to the hotel lobby so no photo uploads until Rome.  Now off to Messe in Assisi's duomo, St. Rufino.  Ciao!




No comments: