Monday, April 14, 2008

China 2000 Flashback: School days



Sitting in the cafe of our hotel (the Riverview Inn), which had a nice area to eat outside and take in the hustle/bustle of the marketplace and activity along the river, we suddenly heard high-pitched cheers in the distance and then a flood of children all in yellow hats, obviously a group of school children!

I am embarrassed to say I do not remember whether the schoolkids in the photo below are from Changsha or Guangzhou. I remember that after "Gotcha day", we had the opportunity to visit a private school that had produced some champion ping pong players, but was it Changsha or Guangzhou? I do not remember! Vickie, help!

But in any case, that visit was a fun afternoon. I seemed to be popular -- the beard? My height? My winning personality? In any case, the kids were friendly, outgoing and curious. They loved the camcorder! The 2nd shot is the most forward of the boys who befriended me and was delighted to get a chance to take some footage using my camcorder. He must be in college now -- probably running his own business and making a fortune!

No comments: